Pediatric Dentistry Residency
The Montefiore Medical Center Residency in Pediatric Dentistry is a hospital-based program that offers an unusually broad exposure to all components of pediatric dentistry. In addition to providing comprehensive dental care for the Department’s young patients, you will gain extensive experience in treating developmentally disabled and medically compromised children and adolescents. A well-rounded didactic program serves to integrate clinical experience with academic knowledge.
You will receive extensive exposure to all aspects of pediatric dental care including well children, developmentally disabled children, minor and major dental trauma, nitrous oxide/oxygen sedation, enteral sedation, IM/IV sedation, interceptive orthodontics and operating room experience. Hospital rotations in Pediatric Medicine, Pediatric Emergency Medicine and Anesthesia will serve to integrate you into the hospital mainstream. You will participate in a monthly, multi-disciplinary conference at the Center for Craniofacial Disorders. Residents and faculty from other hospital specialties such as oral maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, plastic surgery, otorhinolaryngology, pediatric medicine, speech pathology, genetics and psychology also participate in these conferences.
The didactic portion of the program includes lectures, seminars and adjunctive continuing education courses. You will have lectures in such topics as behavior management, dentoalveolar trauma, pulpal therapy, preventative dentistry, sedation techniques, emergency medical management, growth and development, interceptive orthodontics, oral pathology, biostatistics, epidemiology & study design, physical diagnosis, special patient care, oral medicine, treatment planning and head & neck anatomy.
Pediatric dentistry is one of five postgraduate programs in the Department of Dentistry at Montefiore Medical Center. As such, you will have a large number of dental specialists and support personnel with whom you may consult in the treatment of cases requiring a multi-disciplinary approach.
Your rotation at the Rose F. Kennedy Center will emphasize comprehensive dental care for infants, children, adolescents and adults with physical, developmental, language and learning disabilities. You will be called upon to manage medically complex and behaviorally difficult patients using advanced treatment modalities, including intramuscular and intravenous sedations.
As a resident in the Montefiore Department of Dentistry, you will treat patients at many of the department’s clinics and facilities. All are located in the Bronx. They include the locations listed below. For maps and specific locations click here.
- Montefiore Medical Center/Schiff Pavilion
- Jarrett Place Pediatric Dental Clinic
- Prospect Avenue Dental Center
- 5500 Broadway Dental Clinic
- Rose F. Kennedy Center/The Children's Evaluation and Rehabilitation Center
- Diverse patient population
- Extensive clinical experience
- Excellent support from medical and dental staff
- Dental education supervised by full- and part-time faculty
- Extensive operating room and conscious sedation experience
- Interaction with other dental and medical post-graduate programs
- Excellent institutional resources for in-depth management of medically compromised and developmentally disabled children
- Nuntiya Kakanantadilok*, D.M.D., Director, Division of Pediatric Dentistry
- Click Here to read more about Nuntiya Kakanantadilok, D.M.D.
- Alice Lee*, D.D.S., Associate Director, Division of Pediatric Dentistry
- Grace Encarnacion Chin*, D.D.S., Attending, Division of Pediatric Dentistry
- Eytan Chen*, D.M.D., Attending, Division of Pediatric Dentistry
- Janna Danbe*, D.D.S, Attending, Division of Pediatric Dentistry
- Sejal Patel*, D.D.S., Attending, Division of Pediatric Dentistry
Rose F. Kenedy Center
- Farah Alam, D.D.S., Director, Rose F. Kennedy Center
- Steven Krauss*, D.D.S., Attending, Pediatric Dentistry, Rose F. Kennedy Center
- Barry Lagsom, D.D.S., Attending, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Rose F. Kennedy Center
* Board Certified by the ABPD
Call (888) -700-6623 to schedule a consultation and learn more.