Research and Clinical Trials
The Department of Dentistry team at Montefiore Medical Center participates in diverse research projects and clinical trials that expand and contribute to modern dentistry's current knowledge and treatment efforts.
Among our many exciting developments, the Department of Dentistry is testing a human bone morphogenetic protein-2/absorbable collagen sponge developed by Genetics Institute for patients who have lost bone in the back (maxillary sinus) of their upper jaw.
This unique absorbable collagen sponge (ACS) made from cow tendons acts as a carrier supplying protein to the area where bone growth is desired. The ACS is absorbed slowly and safely into the body. Studies of the protein in humans and animals have indicated significant progress in the development of bone growth.
Additionally, clinical studies on the benefits and use of endosteal implants are on-going. Endosteal implants are placed directly onto the bone to act as anchor for one or more artificial teeth. Explorations continue into the myriad of implant designs available to patients. The department also strives to advance the positive psychological impact of immediate tooth replacement.
Another area of concentration is a joint research effort between the Department of Orthodontics and the Center for Craniofacial Disorders. Our objectives are to:
- Create an all-inclusive database of craniofacial patients using departmental computerized charts.
- Make use of a new comprehensive database to expand and streamline communication between clinicians and expedite data retrieval.
- Conduct a descriptive study of patients' characteristics inclusive of: anatomy; type and location of cleft; feeding status, etc.
- Collect and analyze data from orthodontics, oral, maxillofacial and plastic surgery, pediatric neurosurgery and speech pathology.
- Evaluate the long-term impact on maxillofacial growth and speech treatment techniques.
- Identify risk factors and promote behavioral and health topics as related to craniofacial anomaly prevention in the New York metropolitan area.
- Learn more about research efforts at the Montefiore Medical Center Department of Dentistry.
Call (888) -700-6623 to schedule a consultation and learn more.