What to do about sensitive teeth
Have you taken a sip of an ice cold soft drink or beverage only to feel a painful sensation in your teeth? Do you notice that foods that are extremely warm or cold impact how your teeth feel, sometimes keeping you from enjoying your favorite snacks or drinks? If you have experienced this sensation, you likely have sensitive teeth.
What causes sensitive teeth?
The team at Montefiore Medical Center finds that there are many reasons why sensitive teeth may develop. Sensitive teeth can be caused by:
- Periodontal disease (gum disease)
- Aggressive brushing of the teeth
- Bruxism (clenching and grinding)
- Sugary or starchy foods
- Genetic predisposition
- Teeth whitening products
What can be done about tooth sensitivity issues?
Depending on the cause of sensitivity, there are many avenues a patient can take in finding a solution that fits their needs. Below are a few of the recommendations that may be made by the dentists at Montefiore Medical Center regarding ways to reduce sensitivity:
- Brush correctly with the right instruments and with the proper technique
- Limit your consumption of drinks and foods that are highly acidic
- Protect your teeth from nighttime grinding and clenching with a proper nightguard/mouthguard
- Avoid using professional or at-home products to whiten your teeth
- Use a toothpaste and mouthwash that has fluoride to strengthen natural tooth enamel
- Consider filling cavities or addressing periodontal disease if this is the cause of your problems
Many of these suggestions can reduce sensitive teeth, but ultimately, your dental provider will be able to make a recommendation that meets your needs, especially once it has been determined the cause of the problem. Certain conditions may require certain treatments to reduce sensitivity. In mild cases, many patients can use a sensitivity toothpaste and gently brush with a soft-bristled brush to address their discomfort.
Request an appointment at Montefiore Medical Center
With 11 convenient locations throughout the area, the dentists of Montefiore Medical Center can assist you with your dental needs. Book an appointment by calling our main office number at (888) 700-6623. We are here to help you address concerns such as sensitive teeth and gums.