General Practice Residency
The General Practice Residency Program at Montefiore accepts 70 residents each year. Second year positions are also generally available.
The experience of being a General Practice Resident at Montefiore is invaluable. It is, however, very demanding, physically, psychologically and academically. You will have the opportunity for total immersion into the life of a hospital -- managing patients whose oral health is part of their total health. Because it is a hospital based program, you will have an opportunity to see how your dental care relates to care provided by colleagues in dentistry, medicine and other allied health fields.
During the course of your residency at Montefiore, you will have an opportunity to gain knowledge, skill and expertise in the full range of dentistry.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery (including dental implants)
- Fixed and removable prosthetics (including dental implants)
- Cosmetic dentistry
- Limited Pedodontics
You will provide care to your assigned patients under the supervision of experienced general dentists as well as with board certified specialists in all dental specialties. By working beside the faculty, while treating your own patients, you will grow in experience and confidence.
In addition to providing dental care for community residents, you will participate in providing medical and dental care for medically compromised and special needs patients.
Off Service Rotations
Two weeks assigned to the anesthesiology service where you will:
- Achieve an understanding of the functions of the hospital operating room.
- Observe and participate in the activities of Anesthesiology.
- Help assess the pre-operative physical and laboratory status of patients.
- Develop venipuncture skills.
- Appreciate and experience techniques of anesthesia induction and intubation.
- Learn and assess measures of patient monitoring under anesthesia.
- Experience the essentials of airway control and management
- Observe and assess the pharmacological effects of central nervous system depressants.
- Learn techniques for the prevention of anesthetic emergencies.
- Observe and supervise patient recovery from anesthesia
- An important part of our mission at the Montefiore Dental Department is to provide superior health care services for underserved populations of the Bronx. Through the participation in the community services component of our program you will have an opportunity to see first-hand how good dental care can improve lives and enhance the community.
- Our dental mobile unit is outfitted with digital state-of-the-art equipment to provide preventive and primary dental care services for adults and children.
- You will provide oral cancer screenings and work with patients and medical providers to reduce co-morbidities such as periodontal disease and smoking.
- You will gain valuable experience with and exposure to public health, research, and dentistry within a community health context.
Department of Dentistry Rotations
- You will have rotations to (4) sites for the practice of general dentistry where you will develop enhanced skills and expertise in all phases of general dentistry for adults.
- You may choose from electives in pedodontics and research. All residents are assigned rotations in endodontics and periodontics. These rotations are designed to further enhance your training and to assist in making your decision about whether to pursue a specialty.
- You will rotate through Oral Surgery at (2) sites for a total experience of one month.
- A rotation at the Centennial Dental Clinic will give you an opportunity to provide dental care with the use of cutting edge technology under the direct supervision of the attending staff.
- You may take advantage of the opportunity to obtain certification in conscious sedation after the completion of (20) cases.
You will be responsible for assessing and treating dental emergencies and maxillofacial trauma that is admitted to the hospital emergency room. The oral and maxillofacial surgery and pediatric dentistry residents provide back-up, advice and assistance when needed. Faculty is always available as well. The on-call schedule requires you to be physically present in the hospital (2-3) nights per month and palliative care is provided throughout the night. On-call rooms are available as residents are required to stay on site when they are on call.
Lectures and seminars are held most days, before and/or after regular clinic hours. Residents and attending staff members meet regularly.
As a resident in the Montefiore Department of Dentistry, you will treat patients at many of the department’s clinics and facilities. The Department has clean, modern, state of the art clinics that are new or recently remodeled. All are located in the Bronx. They include the locations listed below. For maps and specific locations click here.
- Blondell Dental Clinic
- Schiff Dental Clinic
- Centennial Dental Clinic
- Prospect Avenue Dental Clinic
- 5500 Broadway Dental Clinic
- Wakefield Ambulatory Care Dental Clinic
- Rose F. Kennedy Center / The Children's Evaluation and Rehabilitation Center
Why Choose Montefiore Medical Center for Your General Practice Residency?
- Diverse patient population
- Extensive clinical experience
- Excellent support from medical and dental staff
- Supervised by experienced hands on faculty
- Extensive conscious sedation experience
- Interaction with other dental and medical post-graduate residents
- David Baskas, D.D.S.
- Alexei Bondarev, D.D.S.
- Rohini Dhar, D.D.S.
- Jade Duncan, D.D.S.
- John Dyer, D.D.S.
- Isabel Garcia, D.D.S.
- Julie Kazimiroff, D.D.S.
- Nadine Newsome, D.D.S., M.P.H. Director
- Click Here to read more about Nadine Newsome, D.D.S., M.P.H.
- Jacqueline Polanco, D.D.S.
- Rocio Reteguis, D.D.S.
- Marta Williams, D.D.S.
- Enrique Bursian, D.D.S.
- Sharon Distant-Johnson, D.M.D.
- Larry Genser, D.D.S.
- Elizabeth Joseph, D.D.S.
- Robert Kirchmann, D.D.S.
- Regina Koenig, D.M.D.
- David Lieberman, D.D.S.
- Leonard Mark, D.D.S.
- James Martyniak, D.D.S.
- Marie McKenzie-Tola, D.D.S.
- James Melillo, D.D.S.