Child or Adolescent: Toothache
- Clean the area around the sore tooth thoroughly.
- Rinse the mouth vigorously with warm saltwater to dislodge trapped food or debris.
- DO NOT place aspirin on the gum or on the aching tooth. If face is swollen, apply a cold compress.
- Give the child acetaminophen for pain.
- The next morning take the patient to the Pediatric Dental Clinic at Jarrett Place or Schiff Pavilion or call the clinic and take the child to the clinic as directed.
- If the child has a fever, swelling that interferes with breathing or a bad taste in the mouth,
immediate dental attention is necessary.
- Monday through Friday, take the child to the Pediatric Clinic. At Jarrett Place or Schiff Pavilion.
- Evenings and weekends take the child to the Children's Hospital emergency room immediately.