Child or Adolescent: Knocked Out Permanent Tooth
- Find the tooth. Handle the tooth by the top (crown), not the root portion.
- You may rinse the tooth but DO NOT clean or handle the tooth unnecessarily.
- Try to reinsert the tooth in its socket.
- Hold the tooth in place by biting on a piece of clean gauze or small piece of clean cloth.
- If you cannot reinsert the tooth, transport the tooth in a cup containing milk or water.
- See a dentist immediately. Time is a critical factor in saving the tooth.
- Monday through Friday, take the child to the Pediatric Dental Clinic at Jarrett Place or Schiff Pavilion.
- Evenings and weekends call the hospital operator to speak with the dentist on call and take the child to the hospital emergency room immediately.